Thursday, July 21, 2011

(Sorry about the formatting. This blog site doesn't make it easy.)

Hi again from Bursa! I forgot to upload some photos from a trip I took with the CLS students and all the language buddies (we each have a Turkish student friend with whom we hang out and speak Turkish) to Uludağ National Park. I was suspicious initially but it really is a fantastic natural place. In winter, it is frequented by skiers; we drove by some of the quite exquisite resorts.
Last weekend I was fortunate to have the opportunity to travel to Ankara to visit with my host family from 2 years ago whom I really miss. It was definitely a bit of a different since we spoke virtually no English--my preference--but as if not more enjoyable nonetheless. We didn't actually do much, just hung out since the weather was pretty miserable (hot). They're headed to Spain this week and invited me (ha!) but of course I have other obligations. I should just mention that Turkey's domestic transportation puts America's to shame. Buses leave often and on time to everywhere. They're comfortable and have the same amenities as nice airplane flights. The train I then took after the bus dropped us off in Eskişehir was going 155mph most of the time and got us to Ankara/Bursa a few minutes early (ie <90 min). Unfortunately, Congress has other garbage to deal with...in addition to finding ways to fund expensive student language programs...

A break for gymnastics at Uludağ National Park in Bursa
Uludağ

Forging a river at Uludağ

Photo of Ankara parents at Ankara Fortress

On Ankara Fortress


Host father Nahit Afşar

At a cafe that was once a medieval inn--host mother Gülsüme

No comments:

Post a Comment